Family vacations to Hawaii are on many people’s bucket lists, but figuring out what to pack for your family vacation to Waikiki and Honolulu can be challenging. With the help of this packing list for Hawaii, you can be sure that your family will have everything they need for a wonderful trip. It will also indicate what you should leave at home.
If you’re going to Hawaii, you can probably fit everything in a carry-on bag if you pack lightly. The tropical climate of the Hawaiian Islands is typically bright and pleasant. But you might need some light rain gear depending on the season and the island you’re visiting!
What to pack for your Family Vacation to Waikiki and Honolulu
You may essentially bring the same items with you wherever in Hawaii you go. This Hawaii packing list makes sure you have everything you need, from beach bags and waterproof gear to swimwear and caps.
Packing cubes are at the top of our packing list. They actually do keep everything orderly in the hotel and in our carry-on bags. There are several varieties, but these TravelWise packing cubes are our favorite.
Hygiene Items as Anti-Covid 19 precaution
Although regulations are subject to change, COVID-19 altered the way we travel, and some goods will always be necessary for maintaining excellent cleanliness.
- Sanitizing wipes
- Sanitizing hand lotion
- Masks ( Many locations in Hawaii still demand tourists to wear masks in public, at the beach, and in restaurants).
Personal Items to Bring on a Vacation to Hawaii
- Driving permits
- Cards – both debit and credit
- Health insurance papers
- Auto insurance papers
- Vaccine records (or have them handy on your phone)
- The details of a confirmed hotel or rental
With a cell phone case that also stores cards, you can have all of these goods handy while at the beach. Most of these cases have price tags under $16, making them worthwhile purchases for the beach or daily use.
What to Pack for Your Family Vacation to Waikiki and Honolulu: Clothes to Bring
You’ll be in and around the ocean and sun a lot. Therefore, swimsuits are the most crucial item. Don’t go overboard though! Eight swimsuits for five days is just too much. Depending on how long your journey is, we advise two or three. (Our favorite local advice is to always bring a swimsuit so you may enjoy any beach, river, or waterfall whenever the mood strikes.)
Everything you need for the beach, kayaking, luaus, island road trips, and more, is included in this packing list.
Keep in mind that Hawaii is a relaxed family vacation destination. You should leave the heels and cocktail gowns at home unless you’re going to a wedding. Additionally, make sure your tops, capris, and shorts are lightweight and quick to dry if they become wet.
- breezy tops, tank tops, t-shirts
- two or three swimsuits
- Sarongs or swim cover-ups
- Rash guards with SPF sun protection for men, women, and children
- Bras, sports bras, and undergarments
- Water shoes
- Sandals (for luaus and going out to dinner)
- Sneakers/hiking shoes (Hawaii has tons of interesting hiking trails!)
- Belts for accessorizing
- Scarves for warmth
- Light, waterproof jacket for sailing, light rain, etc.
- A decent sun hat
Toiletries for Everyone
Pack your own must-have bathroom necessities to avoid making the journey to the neighborhood convenience shop or hotel concierge. However, bring liquids in a travel-sized container.
- Hairdryer (most hotels provide hairdryers. But it doesn’t hurt to pack a compact dryer)
- Hair ties, scrunchies, and clips
- Hair products
- Shower Cap
- Safety Pins
- Contacts & case
- Contact solution
- Makeup bag
- Feminine products
- Cotton swabs/cotton balls
- Nail polish & remover
- Nail clipper and file
- Travel-sized laundry detergent packs.
Don’t Forget the Medicine
Nobody intends to become ill or harmed while on vacation. Nevertheless, accidents do happen, so be ready by keeping prescriptions and first-aid supplies close at hand. Make sure you have adequate prescription medication for the trip if anyone in your family needs it.
- Both adults and kids
- First-Aid Kit – w/Band-Aids, ointment, etc. (To save space, place the items in a zipped plastic bag)
You’ll need a day pack filled with necessities for a fantastic day at the beach or an island road trip once you’ve checked into your hotel. Don’t forget the following:
- Beach tote
- Smaller portable cooler
- Collapsible, packable water bottles
- Swim goggles
- Waterproof bag for cell phones
- Lip balm with SPF
- Insect repellent
- Sun hats
What to Pack for Your Family Vacation to Waikiki and Honolulu: Entertainment & Technology
You should bring the following goods, whether you want to be ready for a wet day, enjoy some sports on the sand, or get creative with your beach photos:
- Waterproof or underwater camera
- Laptop (If you must have it)
- Extra power bank
- Chargers and Cords
For Your Rental Car
Renting a car is a smart decision for your trip to Hawaii. The Hawaiian Islands provide a wealth of sights and activities. Learn how to use the turn signals, windshield wipers, and other amenities before you leave the lot. You wouldn’t want to be stranded in an unexpected downpour without knowing where your wipers were!
Bring these practical goods with you on enjoyable day outings.
- Car chargers
- Snacks & drinks
- Garbage/plastic bags
- Portable items from Entertainment List
- Change of clothing
What NOT to Pack for Your Family Vacation to Waikiki and Honolulu
Some things are simply not worth carrying around. Especially when they are available for purchase in the Hawaiian Islands.
- Posh evening attire and shoes
- Scuba diving equipment because in most cases your hotel has all that for renting or even free
- Floating inflating rafts. When purchasing rafts and other pool and beach accessories in Hawaii, think about donating them to another family after you depart.
- Beach towels are provided at hotels and take up too much space. Or purchase towels there. They are useful as mementos.)
- Heavy garments or jackets.